Travel from U.S.A. to Haiti and back
Eliaz and I recently just took our first international trip to Haiti to visit family. I’ve been to Haiti countless times but traveling with a baby is not what I expected… let’s just say it was a learning experience. I had to do a lot of research before our voyage. Not only did we travel internationally but I had no one to help me! Just me and my baby. You will be overwhelmed if not prepared properly. Going on vacation soon? Taking a little one along? Well follow this guide to make sure you have a smooth first trip. It is not easy and I can’t guarantee there won’t be some bumps along the way but it will help a loooot and be a great asset you. Now let’s get started.
- Call the airline in which you will be traveling and ask them about their policies for infants.
Different airlines have different policies and you do not want to wait until you’re at the airport to get surprised. Ask them how many quantities of formula you can bring onboard. Can you bring a car seat? Is there a fee for a baby? Can you bring a stroller? Is there a limit to how much breast milk you can bring? Can you bring wipes? Does diaper bag have to be checked? Do the baby stroller and car seat have a fee to be checked? These are the questions you should be asking. Write them down along the way because you will forget them! It’s so annoying being put on hold for forever to ask the same questions again so save yourself time and stress.
- Don’t over pack the baby bag (unless you plan on staying at the destination for a while)
You’re going to be holding your carry-on, personal item, and holding the baby, the last thing you need to unneeded weight. If you’re going on a short flight, pack only what the baby NEEDS for the flight. A pack of wipes, diapers for the length of the flight, however, much milk the baby will need, a couple toys, pacifier, a blanket, wet wipes should do the trick. It gets cold in airports and airplanes so a blanket is a must-have even if the destination is to a hot place. I flew with American Airlines and you can bring as much formula as you need but they will check all the containers and liquids you may bring onboard.
- Strollers save lives.
Most airlines allow you to bring a stroller for the baby. You can either have it checked and sent with the other luggage or you have the option of using it until you’re about to board, in that case they take the stroller from you at the gate and will bring it to you as soon as you get off the plane. Use the Stroller. My son is heavy; I can’t be holding him for hours and running to reach my gate on time. Too much! Put that baby in the stroller mama. You can put stuff under in the little storage area and hang your purse on the handle.
- If your flight is not filled you can bring the car seat with you on the flight without having to pay a fee!
- Car seats and strollers are not charged when checked to be sent under the plane.
- A baby bag does not count as your carryon.
- Unless you buy a seat for your child, you cannot bring a suitcase under the baby’s name.
Did you know how each person gets a free checked bag? Well that’s only for those who have a seat. So the baby does not count under that rule unless you purchased a seat.
- Some airlines offer a bassinet for babies but it is first come, first serve.
- Babies on the flight with their car seat are always placed near the window.
- To help ease the ear popping when the plane is ascending and descending, give the baby a pacifier or a bottle because the sucking motions helps.(if you’re fancy you can also get noise canceling headphones for children)
- Flight attendants will give you warm water to make a bottle, just ask!
- ARRIVE EARLY
The last thing you need is to be rushed and scrambling around. Do not let this happen to you. Try to arrive at least 3 hours early! Yea you will have to wait for a little but you will be assured that you got everything and will be able to take it easy. Don’t go rising your blood pressure up for nothing.
- Make sure all the important documents that you will need are easily accessible so you can just pop it in and out your bag with ease.
- Enjoy Your Trip Mommy, safe TRAVEL !!!
Have any of you mamas traveled with a baby before? How was your experience? If you have any tips, make sure to leave them below! Make sure to check out my other posts!
Peace, Love & Melanin